At RIMS, we strive to build an inclusive culture that encourages and supports our employees’ diverse perspectives and experiences.
We offer competitive salaries, robust benefit packages, and our Fun Committee arranges annual social events and volunteer activities to keep our culture fun, positive and engaging!
We are looking for a Senior Business Events Manager to join our dynamic Events & Exhibitions team! In this role, you will responsible for managing RIMS global and domestic business events, including but not limited to, Risk Forums, international Risk Summits, international Masterclasses, and our other well-known and established industry events. You will collaborate with peers and vendors alike to ensure each event is executed flawlessly from site selection, to registration, to room set & menu planning through onsite execution, budget reconciliation and everything in between. You keep projects running on time on budget and have mastered the art of managing multiple priorities at once. Sound like you? Read on!
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Business Events Management
- Research and recommend locations for off-site meetings and events, including unique venues.
- Negotiate contractual agreements for assigned events and present contract analysis to VP for signing.
- Manage the coordination and execution of event logistics for assigned events, including F&B and AV needs, room block management, vendor procurement and management, signage, development of program materials and website, and administrative speaker management.
- Develop and maintain event budgets, monitoring expenses according to budget and reporting financial statuses to VP.
- Conduct post-event review with appropriate department(s), including cost analysis and offering suggestions for improvement, and creates post-event reports to document successes and failures, and suggesting future event improvements.
- Serve as the back-up to all in-house RIMS events and monitors the internal events mailbox and internal meeting request system.
- Acts as cross departmental project lead for assigned events by creating and maintaining project plans and leading frequent project meetings.
- In collaboration with the Exhibition and Sponsorship Sales Manager, creates event sales prospectuses for assigned events and assists with the creation of prospecting lists and sales promotional efforts.
- Fulfill all sponsorship related deliverables for assigned events including, but not limited to, ordering promotional items, signage, tracking expenses to the net revenue, and liaising with sponsors on site during events.
- Manage event registration through eShow and/or netFORUM platforms.
- Plan and conduct site inspections for assigned events, providing detailed reports to VP.
- Execute assigned meetings with full P&L management and on-site decision making authority related to event execution, including independent financial decision making.
- Research and proposes new event formats and experiences to elevate the RIMS event brand and member and attendee experiences.
RIMS Annual Conference & Exhibition
- Develop and maintain the Crisis and Emergency Manual, researching evacuation routes and analyzing location based risks.
- Project management of RIMS Community Service Day including managing event sponsors, venue selection, developing themes, and the coordination of all logistics.
- Prepare and distribute the senior leadership and staff agenda (Must List).
- Arrange details of RIMS all-staff pre-con meeting by developing agenda, PowerPoint and staff documents in collaboration with VP.
- Prepare and manage all convention center show management banquet orders, including ballroom functions, exhibit hall luncheons and receptions, staff and vendor offices, committee and council meetings, sponsored banquet functions, etc. approximately $400,000 - $450,000 yearly in spend.
- In conjunction with VP, manage all off-site events and receptions with local DMC, including but not limited to Opening Reception, Spencer Reception, RISK PAC Reception, and others as needed.
- Coordinate details and act as onsite contact for VIP dinners, including but not limited to the Former Presidents, Spencer scholars dinner, and IFRIMA dinners.
- Collaborate with VP and key leadership positions to create and administer post-event attendee surveys.
- Serve as lead logistics manager for all meeting rooms in the convention center and for all off-site RIMS meetings.
- Manage and maintains the Function Request Form tool and ensures that staff orders and needs are properly fulfilled.
- Suggest expense reduction to staff in regards to meeting room logistics (F&B and AV) to minimize expenses.
- Research and maintain relationships with non-North American event solutions providers including, but not limited to, audio visual, speaker bureaus, hotel chains, destination management companies, tourism boards, airlines, etc.
- Represent the RIMS events team in the industry by participating in PCMA or MPI, and in hosted buyer programs as assigned by VP.
Education:Bachelor degree, Certified Meeting Professional preferred (CMP)
Years of Experience:Minimum 5 years’ association event management experience.
- Project management skills
- Networking/ Relationship & Business Development
- Financial management
- Cultural awareness
- International business acumen
Personal Characteristics/General Attributes:
- Detail oriented; organized; manages time well; able to manage ambiguity; collaborative; positive; innovative; team oriented; diplomatic; globally focused and aware.
- Excellent communications and follow-up skills.
- Ability to work independently as well with other staff members, vendors and industry contacts, and can organize work in a timely and efficient manner.
- Must be able to take ownership and lead on projects when acting as key project manager.
- Required to make non-routine decisions.
- Proficient with MS Suite, databases and spreadsheets.
- Experience across all Social Media platforms.
- Strong leadership skills; ability to develop effective relationships and operate with both internal and external clients.
- Proven ability to understand, track, analyze and leverage customer and marketplace insights into building effective marketing strategies and business plans.
- Ability to use analytical skills and critical thinking to diagnosis business issues and incorporate into development or adjustment of marketing plans to achieve business results in a self-directed manner.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize competing project deadlines to produce most efficient, timely output of deliverables.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Exceptional analytical skills and data-driven thinking.
- Strong time management and prioritization skills.
- Ability to build and manage a high-performing team.
- Excellent collaboration and project management skills.
- Ability to create and make effective presentations to stakeholder groups.
- Excellent interpersonal, written/verbal communications skills.
- 30% - 2-3 International Forums, RIMS Annual, Site Visits as assigned.
Direct Reports: None
RIMS offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, and a comprehensive benefits package:
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/AD&D, Employee Assistance Program, Commuter Benefits, Professional Development, Tuition Reimbursement, Flexible Account (FSA), 401k Plan including Employer Match and Safe Harbor, Annual Performance Evaluation, Parental Leave, Work from Home, Vacation, Sick, Paid Time Off, and Paid Holidays.
Location/Region: New York